Saturday 6 June 2020

How to look after your mental health - 12 Lessons from Herman Munster



When I was a child growing up with a craniofacial syndrome, it was incredibly hard. I was stared at, made fun of, pushed over and isolated. Home was my sanctuary where I was accepted and loved, and had those typical fights with my brothers. You could say it was 'normal'. A show that I loved was Munsters, and I have been watching reruns on TV and clips on YouTube to try to understand why. I was called Frankenstein and Herman was Frankenstein so why would I love the show so much when he looks the way he does? 

I quickly found the answers. Herman had heaps of great messages for me. He saw himself as the 'normal' one and the outsiders were the freaks. Marilyn was the one who didn't fit in, and she also saw herself as the 'freak' in the family. This whole flipped concept would have really helped me to cope with the nastiness of the world.

I found this YouTube video which is entitled 12 Life Lessons from Herman Munster and I love it so much that I wanted to share it here in my blog. Have a watch and tell me what you think.





I am going to list  Herman's 12 Life Lessons here:

12. Let your light shine - Bring a little happiness to others
11. Commune with nature - Go out in nature - it's good for you
10. Heroes are Zeroes - Lots of heroes are vain and good for nothings
9. Start that college 529  - Begin a savings bank account when your children are young
8. Catch more flies with honey - You'll get further with love and affection and understanding
7. Stay flea free  - Don't go with bad companions. He who lies down with dog, gets up with fleas
6. Serve and protect  - It's the duty of every citizen to protect the police
5. Respect the produce  - In the vegetable garden of life don't pinch the tomatoes
4. Target Marketing 101  - Don't start scratching until you know where the fleas are biting
3. Pay it forward  - Help people to succeed
2. Be kind - When we put kindness in we get kindness back - it's like putting money in the bank with interest
1. What matters most - It doesn't matter what you look like. What matters is the size of your heart and the strength of your character. 




Do you agree with me? The script writers were way ahead of their time. In the 1960s racism, hiding disabled children away in institutions, putting people who were considered too different in freak shows was rife. Basically if you weren't a neurotypical white middle class person you weren't a worthy citizen.

As a society we still have a long way to go as progress has been at a snail's pace. These life lessons are still relevant today and will improve our mental and make for a more inclusive society!



Please like, share and subscribe to me. I want everyone to Be Weirdly Wonderful! I date you to embrace your differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is So Wrong with MP Tanya Plibersek Calling MP Peter Dutton Voldemort from Harry Potter?

 A few hours ago I saw on MSN the report that MP Tanya Plibersek had said on a radio interview that MP Peter Dutton looks like Voldemort fro...